Saturday, July 12, 2008

Texas Breakfast Tacos......The best!!

Wow! Is all I can say after making these for breakfast!! These were incredible! I love mexican food, and I have never liked breakfast burritoes, so I read about breakfast tacos and how they are better than the "american, try to be mexican, but didn't quite make it, breakfast burrito" :) so...I got the ingredients at the store and I thought I would give it a try. They cost about .40 cents each to make...and I made a whopping 24....so for .80 cents, I get an extra yummo breakfast! Now, saying that...you could easily double that because I overfilled mine... I didn't have enough corn tortillas, which would make them about .20 to.30 cents each!! now that is a bargain.... so...without further ado...here is the recipe and photos:






Breakfast Tacos:

Ingredients:(seperate bowls for each)
6 eggs scrambled, salt and pepper them

2 potatoes,pierce with fork, cook in microwave for 8 minutes.(I did that the night before and put in the fridge til the morning) dice with 1/2 onion, fry in a little oil, salt and pepper them to taste (I had a lot of extra potato, so 1 might be enough...)(I also fried in the pan I made the sausage in to sort of flavor them a little)

1 can refried beans-I used fat free....

1 package of Gaspars "Linguica" sausage(Portugese) (I got it at Publix on the back wall by the hotdogs and other sausages) it is like Chorizo sausage, but wayyyyy milder :) This sausage MADE the whole thing!! so yummy and gave it that authentic texas taco style (not southwest, but close to mexico yummy taco taste!) I took the skin off of all three and crumbled it with my hands and then cooked it in a skillet with a little olive oil.

Colby Jack shredded cheese

Pace picante sauce

1 package of corn tortillas. I put oil in a skillet and cooked each one for about 30 seconds each side to soften them up. I oiled each one a little....(you can use flour, but we are trying to stay away from wheat)

Directions:
Lay your corn tortilla on the counter or a plate and spread a layer of refried beans real thin on 1/2 of it.

The spread some pace picante sauce over that.

Follow with potato, egg, sausage and cheese.... or whatever order works for you...

This made 24, but can easily make more with less inside....

I made these all up at once and put them in ziploc baggies and I will heat up 3 at a time for our family to have breakfast.....about 30-45 seconds in the microwave... or more depending on your own microwave....

enjoy!!

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

*Kelly, I think these are gluten free? Want me to bring you some? ~smile~

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I really want some... Can you bring them tomorrow night? Or maybe Thursday morning? The recipe sounds really yummy and seeing that its dinner time, I'm hungry too. Love you! Thanks for thinking of me!